Saturday, April 25, 2020

Getting Spanked at 115 Beats per Minute

Memebase - spanking - All Your Memes In Our Base - Funny Memes ...

Be forewarned, today's musings from my perambulations are all over the map but did culminate in a spanking brought about by my hubris!

Today's ramble through the byways of Long Island brought me from Northport to West Hills and back via Commack, Dix Hills, Huntington Station, and Green Lawn.  A big 30 mile loop that had some climbs, some flats and a lot of sun!

I've spoken before of how I like to listen to music on my old school iPod with an ear bud in my right ear so I can still hear traffic (and my phone if it rings) but I like to load my "Cycling" playlist with music that motivates me, oftentimes giving me blasts from the past as I remember particular times in my life when a particular song was popular.  But I have this rule that I don't start playing until I get at least three miles in which is usually when I get out of Northport and onto whatever route I'm following for that day.

What I've started doing the last year instead is going over CPR compression rates in my head.  You see, not too long ago the American Heart Association recommended that instead of the 100 beats per minute for compressions that was the norm for a long time, we should be compressing at 100-120 beats per minute instead.  Now while many people think it funny to compress to Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" in their head, you know considering the irony and all, other's like to use instead (and one that was suggested to us the first time I got my CPR card) "Stayin' Alive" by the BeeGees.  A fun tune but it always brought back too many flashbacks of not getting to dance at high school dances (no one would dance when I asked) and also the scene from The Office which is precipitated by Dwight trying to teach them all about "Emergency Preparedness".  Unfortunately, the excitement causes one of them to have a heart attack and so they all must take a mandatory CPR course;


Unfortunately, at 104 beats per minute, it really is on the slow side but it doesn't stop people from using it as a go to song to keep the rhythm.  I was once part of a call in which we needed to continue with manual CPR (they had taken off the Lucas device) in the Trauma room. The attendant wasn't compressing at fast enough rate and one of the nurses actually started singing "Staying Alive" to get him to keep the rhythm.  Unfortunately, this particular individual was apparently rhythmically challenged and even with her tuneful melody couldn't keep the beat so the medic and I stepped in.  We were damned if we were going to lose that patient because someone couldn't keep the beat.  Of course, if 104 beats per minute is your jam, you could always use "The Imperial March" from Star Wars - it too is 104 bpm and immensely more fun to hum in the back of the ambulance!


I actually have a really good sense of rhythm and I attribute it to my dance background and my time playing rhythm guitar at the LITMA Celtic Jam sessions on Sunday mornings.  And I've put it to good use on far too many calls.  One of the best compliments I ever received was while doing ER rotations for my CC class when, while assisting during a code, one of the nurses said to me, "nice compressions".  I guess my rhythm was good.  One of my goals for the not too distant future (once I help my boys get through their EMT class) is to become a CPR instructor.

Which is why I know the AHA guidelines for CPR are now 100-120 beats per minute, which means 110-115 is the sweet spot, not 104 beats per minute.  Now there are a LOT of great songs that land in that range.  AC/DC's "Highway to Hell";


Or if you want to stick with Queen and you're feeling a little "Under Pressure";


And although I listen to some Queen (it brings back good memories of the 70's and 80's) when I ride.  I tend to listen to a lot more Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters and Green Day.  Indeed, one of my favorite songs in that sweet spot range to pedal to is Green Day's "21st Century Breakdown";


Sometimes though when I ride things happen to my olde iPod and it gets stuck.  Probably it's because I hit a wrong button when it's hidden in my back pocket.  Today was one of those days and here's one of the songs that I listened to today before my iPod ran out of power, when I was feeling a little of Def Leppard's "Hysteria";


In the late 80's and early 90's I listened to a lot this band and bring back lots of great memories, particularly of my days in Ballet Dallas.  And as I heard this song playing today I thought of my time with the company.  I was fortunate enough to dance with them for two seasons before I moved to New York to pursue my dream of being a modern dancer.  You see, at 5' 6 1/2" I was a little short to really be a ballet dancer as most of the girls were almost as tall as I was.  There was one, who I recently was blessed to get back in touch with who inspired me.  She was always told she was too short to be a ballerina but she had toured Europe and was one of the principals of Ballet Dallas so I thought maybe if she could do it, I could to.  I just had to find my niche.  So I thought maybe I could move to New York and try modern dance.  Little did I know it would actually lead me to musical theatre - and the rest is history.  So thank you Vicky, I wouldn't have the life I have now except for your example!

And a little after all of this musing over how Ballet Dallas had such a seminal influence on my life my iPod died but I was at the top of a great place to stop for a mid ride snack of banana and granola bar.

(Yep, just trying to commune with nature!)
But I digress.  Where was I?  Oh, yes - Is 110-115 bpm a little fast for pedalling?  Yes, yes it is and I don't always keep up with that rhythm and use it more for the motivation than anything else.  But when I don't have music, as happened midway through my ride, I go over CPR in my head and use that range and try to pedal to it and after every 30 pedal revolutions I take two deep breaths.  Then I start all over again!

Well all was going well and I was feeling pretty good.  My average mph wasn't anything to write home (or in this blog) about but I was feeling pretty energetic. I didn't have music but I was keeping a good tempo when I looked over my shoulder and I saw another cyclist about an 1/8th of a mile behind me.  "Well!," I thought to myself, "I need to work harder going up this hill then so he doesn't catch me."

And this is where hubris (and this unknown cyclist) not only back hand slapped me, but spanked me......HARD!!!!  Just as I crested the hill (thinking, to myself he was farther behind now) he passed me and (this is the part that really got me), easily and with no effort said, "Great day, huh?"  And then he slowly moved further away as if I were standing still!!!!!  I mean, yes I'm not in great shape now but I thought I was getting better.  But now I know I've been kidding myself.  Uggggggghhhhhhh!  I just wanted to drop over on the side of the road and have someone perform compressions on me so that maybe, just maybe I might have the energy to go faster.  Yeah, yeah, I know it doesn't work that way but still.

So, today's meandering reminded me of a few things.  I'm grateful for so much in my life and for all of the experiences that have brought me to the place I am now.  Ballet Dallas led to New York.  New York led to musical theatre.  Musical Theatre led me to meet my wife Amy and but for her love and support I wouldn't be a teacher and have had a small part in the careers of so many young theatre professionals.  And because of my wife I have three amazing children.  And because of those children I decided to become an EMT and try to help my community and learn CPR.  And all because I was too short to be a ballet dancer!

Oh, and apparently there's another song that's perfect in that sweet spot for compressions when doing CPR. It's one you've heard often and probably know all the lyrics by heart;


Well, that's all the musings from today's ride.  I won't be getting out tomorrow since I'm working a shift at CVAC but I'll be getting out again on Monday.  Till then, keep on pushing.....doot, doo, doot da doo!!!!

I'll see you on the road!

FFR - Nothing!  I'm glad to see that none of our furry friends were flattened!
RRL - Nothing unusual, just lots and lots of discarded gloves and surgical masks!  Clean up after yourselves, people!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment